One of our most favorite weekend breakfast foods for entertaining is pancakes and we’ve looked high and low for a killer vegan recipe.
In our pre-vegan days, our hands down favorite was Alton Brown’s “instant” pancake recipe and we always had home “instant” mix on hand in the pantry.
Today, we had the family over for brunch and I looked high and low for a winning recipe that vegans and non-vegans alike would enjoy.
Most vegan pancake recipes call for egg substitutes that just don’t cut it or end up creating runny pancakes.
Enter Food.com with an egg free, dairy free, simple to make, all vegan, all delicious pancake recipe.
I made a few slight modifications and ended up with family pleasing vegan pancakes.
Change #1: Use coconut oil instead of vegetable oil. Remember you need to warm the jar in warm water and then pour out the amount you need.
Change #2: Add chocolate chips. We use Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Change #3: We used almond milk instead of soy milk, just cuz.
So, without further ado, here’s the revised recipe that’ll feed 2-3 adults.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Cooking them is easy, too:
- Preheat a non stick pan over medium heat.
- Combine the 4 dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt) in a bowl.
- Add the almond milk and coconut oil to your mixture.
- Mix until smooth.
- Now the pan should be ready for your batter, so pour four pancakes into the pan.
- As soon as you are done pouring the batter, put chocolate chips on each pancake, press in with finger and smooth batter over the top of the chips so they’re INSIDE.
- Flip [carefully] when you see bubbles in the middle of the pancake, or if the edges are looking stiffened.
- Repeat until the batter is gone, and try not to eat them all while you’re cooking them.
8 thoughts on “Delicious Vegan Pancake Recipe”
Ooooooooh! Sounds sooooooooo yummy! I can’t wait to try these . . .
They were a hit, even with the little nieces. The 4 year old got smart, though, and realized that she could peel the pancakes open like grilled cheese sandwiches and lick the chocolate out. Of course, that meant it was my chance to dump more chocolate inside and put it back on the gridle for her. 🙂
These are not vegan if they have semi-sweet chocolate chips in them
The chocolate chips that we used are vegan. 🙂
Ghiradelli makes semi-sweet vegan chocolate chips? Awesome…good to know! Thanks!
WOW! This recipe is fantastic! As a teen who just turned vegan, I never really like pancakes. I don’t know why, but these pancakes are so much better than regular pancakes. They are so yummy even without syrup! Thank you, you have brought pancakes back in my life.
Awesome, Siobhan! Thanks for the feedback! Being vegan sometimes means we get to enjoy fantastic foods we might otherwise never have a chance to try! So glad you like these and that pancakes have found a way back into your life! 🙂
I tried to do them just for myself, so I halfed every ingredient…I did it twice and both times the pancake had a REALLY REALLY bitter after taste. Does anyone know what the reason might be?