One of our most favorite weekend breakfast foods for entertaining is pancakes and we’ve looked high and low for a killer vegan recipe.
In our pre-vegan days, our hands down favorite was Alton Brown’s “instant” pancake recipe and we always had home “instant” mix on hand in the pantry.
Today, we had the family over for brunch and I looked high and low for a winning recipe that vegans and non-vegans alike would enjoy.
Most vegan pancake recipes call for egg substitutes that just don’t cut it or end up creating runny pancakes.
Enter Food.com with an egg free, dairy free, simple to make, all vegan, all delicious pancake recipe.
I made a few slight modifications and ended up with family pleasing vegan pancakes.
Change #1: Use coconut oil instead of vegetable oil. Remember you need to warm the jar in warm water and then pour out the amount you need.
Change #2: Add chocolate chips. We use Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Change #3: We used almond milk instead of soy milk, just cuz.
So, without further ado, here’s the revised recipe that’ll feed 2-3 adults.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Cooking them is easy, too:
- Preheat a non stick pan over medium heat.
- Combine the 4 dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt) in a bowl.
- Add the almond milk and coconut oil to your mixture.
- Mix until smooth.
- Now the pan should be ready for your batter, so pour four pancakes into the pan.
- As soon as you are done pouring the batter, put chocolate chips on each pancake, press in with finger and smooth batter over the top of the chips so they’re INSIDE.
- Flip [carefully] when you see bubbles in the middle of the pancake, or if the edges are looking stiffened.
- Repeat until the batter is gone, and try not to eat them all while you’re cooking them.